Full body exfoliation using a body scrub is one of the most popular and effective methods of stimulating the skin.
Like all organs, the skin also needs stimulation to keep it in optimal health. As we age the skin loses collagen fibers. Collagen fibers are the structural unit of the skin, which is responsible for the skin being firm and plump. The loss of collagen makes the skin thinner and causes it to wrinkle and sag.
Research shows that physically stimulating the skin promotes the production of collagen and increases its thickness, thereby maintaining its youthful appearance.
Benefits of Body Exfoliation
- Increased cell turn-over rate: As we age the cell turnover rate slows down and leads to dull and rough skin. Scrubs remove dead skin cells and dirt clinging to the surface of the skin and promote new skin cells to rise up. Exfoliation also unclogs pores and increases the efficacy of the products that follow, since they are now absorbed fully eg. body butters, serums etc.
- Increased microcirculation: Massaging the scrub increases blood circulation in the upper layers of the skin bringing up the essential nutrients and nourishing it.
- Increased lymphatic drainage and is mildly detoxifying: Our body has a lymphatic system that supports immunity and clears out toxins. Massaging the skin stimulates the lymphatic vessels and they flush-out toxins more effectively hence detoxifying the body. This also improves the appearance of cellulite.
How to do it correctly
The skin needs proper cleansing using a gentle cleanser. Apply a generous amount of scrub to damp skin and massage gently using long strokes. Wash off with lukewarm water only. Follow with body butter to increase and lock in maximum hydration and moisture.
- Body scrubs should be applied only to cleansed skin so that they can exfoliate dead cells. Without cleansing a scrub will only wash away surface impurities and grime.
- Always use gentle products on your skin. Steer clear from products containing sulphates like SLS, SLeS, ALS, ALeS etc. since they strip away natural oils of the skin.
- Scrub particle shape and size should be round, regular and smooth so that they do not abrade the skin and only slough away the dead cells. Plastic microbeads containing scrubs should also be avoided since they pollute oceans and many countries ban them.
- Do not use the same scrub for both body and face. Both types of scrubs have a different formula since the facial skin is much thinner, fragile and drier that the rest of the body.
- Scrubs should be always followed up with a moisturizing cream or body butter to prevent dryness.
- You should not scrub dry skin. Rather the skin needs healing before using rich moisturizing body butters before any kind of exfoliation to prevent irritation of the skin.
- Do not over-exfoliate the skin, so, don’t use scrubs more than twice or thrice a week. The skin should be allowed to replenish the natural oils. Over exfoliation can cause dry, irritated or inflamed skin.
The Pilgrim Volcanic Lava Ash Body Scrub is free of toxic chemicals and has self-melt granules that are super gentle on the skin. It draws out impurities from the skin and nourishes it deeply.
Regularly exfoliating the skin can have multifold benefits along with a skin that glows and is healthy inside out.
“Cleanse, Exfoliate, Moisturize” are the stepping stones to a good skincare regime that you need to follow religiously to preserve skin vitality and health.
Volcanic Lava Ash Body Scrub with Yugdugu & White Lotus
Our ultra luxurious body scrub is crafted to gently exfoliate, detoxify and brighten your skin. Volcanic Lava Ash exfoliates and promotes skin cell regeneration, Yugdugu reduces pigmentation, and White Lotus improves skin elsticity – leaving it fresh, bright and rejuvenated. The unique texture of the scrub with its ‘self melt granules’ feels like something you have never experienced before!