We all want to look great and the first step toward getting beautiful skin is to find out your skin type. It also helps you make the right choices about your skincare. When it comes to finding your own skin type, the first thing to know is that your skin type can vary with everything from the climate to your stress level. There are many internal and external elements that can sway the way your skin looks and feels. If you are using products for the wrong skin type, then it can further aggravate the condition of your skin, leading to acne and can also make you look older. Different skin types require different product formulations to meet their unique needs. There are four common skin types- normal, oily, dry, and sensitive skin.
Normal skin is not too dry and not too oily. It has a radiant complexion and there are barely any visible pores. There are no extreme sensitivities and fewer imperfections. You don’t see any changes in your skin throughout the day and you rarely have any breakout. It is soft with a smooth and even skin tone. You have minimal to no wrinkles or lines. Normal skin becomes dry in the winter and too much exposure to sunlight can damage the skin.
Best ingredients to use for normal skin-
It is one of the most popular and versatile natural skincare ingredients. It has various benefits for your skin, including protection from sunburns, purging skin cells, and fortifying skin tissue.
Tea tree oil:
This ingredient has been used for years for treating inflammation, redness, and breakouts.
It can soothe and cool irritated skin, which is why it is used for treating acne and irritated skin.
What to avoid?
Avoid products with Petrolatum and Mineral oil as they can have a pore-clogging effect on the skin. Also, avoid products with Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate as they are extremely dehydrating to the skin.
Skincare routine for normal skin-
Wash your face with a facial cleanser every morning without fail. Get this Pilgrim Volcanic Lava Ash Face Wash with Yugdugu & White Lotus. It not only helps remove dead skin cells to reveal fresh and healthy-looking skin but also remineralizes the skin to prevent breakouts.
- Moisturize your skin to keep it fresh all day long, which will prevent dryness and wrinkles.
- Don’t forget to apply sunscreen before leaving home.
- Make sure to remove makeup before you sleep.
- Exfoliate twice a week to remove dead skin cells.
- Apply moisturizing night cream before going to bed.
Dry skin can make you feel dry, tight, or rough just after a couple of hours of moisturizer application. It has more visible lines and your skin is less elastic. You may get red patches and your complexion might look dull and rough. It can become rough and scaly if it’s too dry, particularly on the legs, arms, and hands. If you have acne, then acne products can be additionally drying. So, it is recommended to natural oil-based products and avoid any alcohol-based ingredients which can be drying.
The daily routine for dry skin-
- Take a shower every day, not more than once.
- Use a mild, gentle cleanser. Do not use deodorant soaps.
- Follow the routine of cleansing-toning-moisturizing.
- Exfoliation is important to gently buff off dead skin cells even for dry skin.
- Don’t scrub while taking a bath.
- Mineral foundations are best for dry skin.
- Use antioxidants to improve skin tone and stop free-radical damage caused by sun and pollution.
- Apply rich moisturizer after taking a bath. Apply Pilgrim Shea & Cocoa Body Butter with White Lotus immediately after a shower to ensure your skin remains soft, supple, and hydrated.
- Don’t let the inside temperature get too hot. Use a humidifier.
- Carry a water bottle everywhere you go to keep your skin well hydrated and supple.
Best ingredients to use for dry skin-
- Fragrance-free ingredients are always the best choice for dry skin. Non-fragrant plant oils like argan oil, borage seed oil, evening primrose oil, cranberry seed oil, and sunflower oil are great to revitalize dry skin.
- Plant butter like shea butter, jojoba butter, and cocoa butter are excellent for replenishing and nourishing dry skin.
- Skin-replenishing ingredients like glycerine, omega fatty acids, cholesterol, and ceramides can help soften and strengthen dry skin.
What to avoid?
Avoid Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate or Sodium as they can be extremely drying to the skin. You should also avoid any product having petrolatum or mineral oil as they can have a pore-clogging effect on the skin.
You have oily skin if you are more prone to blemishes, pimples, whiteheads, and blackheads. This skin has overactive sebaceous glands producing more oil than required. Your complexion may look thick, dull, or shiny sometimes. Oiliness can increase due to too much humidity, stress, and puberty. It can also be caused due to stress, unsuitable cosmetics, pregnancy, hormone levels, diet, and hereditary factors.
Best ingredients to use for oily skin-
It contains vitamin C, which helps in brightening skin and combating hyperpigmentation.
Not only is it great for acne-prone skin, but it is also antibacterial.
It absorbs excessive oil and draws sebum, debris, and dead skin from your face. Not only that, but it also tightens and cleanses pores too.
It helps by pulling impurities from the skin and maintaining pH balance.
What to avoid?
Avoid Isopropyl Myristate and Isopropyl Palmitate as they may encourage clogged pores. Don’t buy any product with Petrolatum and Mineral oil as they can have a pore-clogging effect on the skin.
Skin care routine for oily skin-
- Wash your oily skin twice a day. You can buy a cleanser marked specifically for oily skin.
- Use skin toners to check any signs of oil or makeup. You can put it in a misting bottle and spray or can also use a cotton pad to apply.
- Moisturizing serum or lotion is a must to keep the oily skin hydrated. Choose the moisturizer that has an SPF of at least 20.
- You can also give a spot treatment to occasional blemish with a gel that contains salicylic acid.
- Exfoliate your skin once or twice a week as the extra sebum produced can cause dead skin cells on the skin’s surface, leaving you with blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, and acne. Try this Pilgrim Volcanic Lava Ash Face Scrub with Yugdugu & White Lotus. It helps remove the dead skin cells, superficial blackheads, and whiteheads with the help of its extra-fine particles and the pillowy texture.
Sensitive skin is usually thin or fine-textured skin and can give you an appearance of dryness, burning, itching, and redness. It can cause inflammation and irritation easily. It can also be caused by skin conditions such as allergies, eczema, or rosacea. It usually reacts quickly to temperature changes.
Best ingredients to use for sensitive skin-
– Offers necessary moisturization.
White tea extract
– It will help reduce skin irritation and redness.
It acts as an anti-inflammatory to help reduce redness in the skin.
It makes the skin less sensitive with time besides providing antioxidant benefits.
What to avoid?
Avoid products with sodium as they can be too drying to your skin. Avoid creams and toners having alcohol, which can give you dry skin, leading to itchiness and irritation.
Skin care routine for sensitive skin-
- Keep your face clean all the time as it is more susceptible to acne and blemishes.
- Use a moisturizer that contains skin strengthening ceramides every day to keep your skin healthy and hydrated.
- Don’t forget to apply sunscreen before you go out.
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables to help the skin stay soft and supple.
- Don’t put makeup too often as the chemicals in them can cause skin breakouts.
- Do not touch the skin with dirty hands as the sensitive skin can pick up dirt and grime easily.
- Don’t buy products that contain acidic ingredients.
However, you should know that no matter what your skin type is if you are not taking proper care of the skin like not applying sunblock or not removing makeup before you hit the bed, all your conducts will go in vain.
Most of the time, people tend to skip a full skincare routine in their early years. This often leads to having face wrinkles when they are in their mid or late thirties. Even though wrinkle is a common occurrence with passing age, it does not have to happen as early as the mid-30s. Many people believe that having great skin is a matter of DNA; however, that is not entirely true. Introducing good habits, like healthy food, regular exercise, and a good skincare routine would help you keep healthy skin for a long time. A good skincare routine not only makes your skin look bright and glowing, but it also is responsible for keeping your skin healthy.
A consistent and good skincare routine prevents acne, wrinkles on face, fine lines, etc. When you make a habit of following a skincare routine, it helps your skin look youthful and radiant. As the old saying goes, you reap whatever you sow, if you are not taking care of your skin right now, few years down the line you would be having skin problems that you should not be having. There is no overnight fix for skincare. It takes time and you must be patient for the results to appear.
Many people wonder how to manage facial wrinkles. Skincare products that could prevent face wrinkles from happening if you start taking care of it from an early age are:
Do not underestimate the power of cleansing your face. Instead of just splashing your face with water, use a facial cleanser suitable for your skin type. Cleansing helps your skin to get rid of pollutants, dirt, oil, and makeup after a long day. Most skincare professionals also stress upon using the 60 second face wash method, as the product reaches the deepest regions of your pores and clean the dirt and oil. Introduce a gentle cleanser that matches your skin type to your skincare regime, you will thank yourself when you are old.
Toner closes your open pores and tightens your skin by restoring the nutrients and creating a protective barrier. You should apply toner right after you cleanse your face. Toner is made to gently replenish your skin of the lost moisture and nutrients. Even though earlier, toners were used to be alcohol-based, today many skincare companies have taken into account how alcohol could be harmful to your skin and have started making hydrating toners to suit every skin type.
Serums are highly concentrated in beneficial ingredients and lightweight in the formula. Adding this step would help your skin. We recommend Pilgrim Vitamin C Night Serum that is the best easily-absorbed and non-greasy formula that can help delay signs of environmental damage. It will repair your skin while you are asleep.
Moisturising has always been the go-to step of the skincare routine. No matter what your skin type is, be it oily or dry or sensitive, moisturize religiously. Moisturizers keep your skin nourished, smooth, and healthy. If you have dry skin and always wonder how to manage facial wrinkles, always choose a thick hydrating moisturizer. If you have sensitive skin go for a lightweight, water-based moisturizer to balance your skin’s pH.
- Sunscreen: Whether you are at home or you are going out for work, or to run a quick errand at the store, never forget your sunscreen. We recommend the Pilgrim White Lotus Day Cream that is built with SPF 50. It can help in protecting your skin from the sun and covering discolorations such as hyperpigmentation and redness. It helps to prevent wrinkles on face by protecting your skin from harmful UV-A and UV-B rays of the sun. It also helps you fix uneven skin tone, uneven tanning, skin rash, signs of skin aging, and skin sagging. You see, sunscreen really is your holy grail of the skincare routine.
Exfoliating helps you get rid of the dead skin cells, thus improving your skin’s appearance and texture. You could choose to exfoliate once or twice a week, and it will be enough. While you could do physical exfoliating at home, it is advisable that you visit an expert for the chemical exfoliating. Physical exfoliation could be harsh on the skin, which is why most dermatologists often advise that you choose chemical exfoliation.
Extra products for skincare
Some people would also add a few more steps to take their skincare routine a step further. It is not necessary for you to do, however, if you are interested you can try these steps as well. If you have acne, scars, or dark spots you could incorporate spot treatment to your nigh ttime skincare routine. You could also apply some face pack before you start your night-time regime. However, you do not need to apply a face pack every day. You could do it a day or two in a week.
Eye creams are another product that many people do use. But many skincare experts are divided over the results it provides. While many experts claim that eye cream works wonder, others debate against the claims. Eye creams are lighter and thinner than face moisturizers are, you can apply it just after cleansing and toning, and before you apply your serums and other products. During the daytime, you can apply the eye creams under your eyes, before you apply your concealer and other makeup products.
Face oils are another product that many people swear by. You need to apply face oil after you have applied the moisturizers, serums, and other treatments. Oils can easily penetrate through all the products but it is not possible the other way around. Just like all other products, you must choose the face oil that matches your skin type. Aloe oils are most popular among people with sensitive skin as it soothes the irritated skin.
Even though it seems like too much work to put onto your skin; however, a proper skincare routine is what will prevent the face wrinkles at old age. Consistency and patience is a virtue when it comes to skincare. You cannot expect to see results in a day or two, as it takes time for your skin to adapt to your routine. Along with the skincare routine you choose to follow, you must also make it a habit to spend make up free days, allowing your skin to breathe.
Pilgrim Volcanic Lava Ash Face Scrub with Yugdugu & White Lotus
There are scrubs and then there is THE SCRUB! Its extra-fine particles and the pillowy texture feels like a treat rather than a boring exfoliation process.